Wednesday, July 22, 2009

And the winner is...


Finally picked the winner for the contest! Michaela did this page based on Sketch #3. I love how she used the snowboards in place of the brackets and the colors on this are just awesome! Make sure you email me your address at jroriente@gmail.com so I can get your goodies out soon!

And now on to this week's sketch...

I had originally intended this sketch to be for pictures from around the campfire from our camping trip this weekend to Westport, however, we we
re
rarely all around the fire at the same time, so I didn't get them. I even had the idea of having Chlow draw some fire on some white cardstock so I could use it for this page because she draws amazing flames!

Since I didn't get to take the desired photos, I started looking around in my already printed stack so I could use the sketch anyways. I like it that much. What it ended up looking like is a far cry from the actual sketch... mostly because I was trying some new techniques (like making vines out of tissue paper) but also because I was
using up some old embellishments as part of a challenge at the House of Paper. It still somewhat resembles the sketch, I think, but I guess that's why they call it "Inspiration" ;)

The materials I used for this one are:
The journal spot is from a pack of "frames" I got years ago from colorbok
The "Cherish" is from one of those DIY kits from a while ago that I bought for the album
the butterflies are appliques that I bought and forgot about as are the metal charms & hat pin. Everything else is new! pp: DCWAV
Flowers & Page Pebble: Prima
To make the tissue paper vines, I cut some green tissue paper into a strip twice as long as the area I wanted it for, then crumpled it, uncrumpled it and twisted it, then I inked it wit
h a black ink pad very lightly. I cut the leaves by crumpling and uncrumpling more tissue paper and folding it in half and cur a few half-leave shapes. After I unfolded each leaf, I gently touched them to the ink pad so it would pick up some of the texture and then I used Helmar Acid
Free Glue to attach them all to my page.


1 comments:

Michaela on August 16, 2009 at 1:49 PM said...

OMG! Thank you for the wonderful compliments on my page. A couple of your latest posts mention being behind.... oh do I know the feeling! I'm sending an email with my address finally :-) BTW, those vines are awesome....if you hadn't written details on how to make them, I never would have guessed they were tissue paper!! They really add a soft touch to such a sweet page.